Our 4th Emerging Artist Awards exhibition for those that are still finding their 'art feet' with two fortunate artists coming away with an arts grant to help further their arts careers.
Two respected judges will award three grants to fresh new talent – one $1000 Arts West Grant, including a plaque that the artist will hold for one year, one $500 Arts West Grant, and a $500 Carmela McHardy Grant.
This concept was developed to bring out our hidden (emerging) talent – the ones that have had little or no exposure to the public - and assist them by guiding them through a number of processes they will need to understand as they emerge: applications for awards, competitions, funding – exhibiting – advertising – building databases of buyers, galleries etc.
The Emerging Artists Awards Grants have a mandatory ‘accountability process’ that the recipients will also be guided through. The grants must be spent to further artistic endeavor (not to catch up on unpaid fines etc :-)).
CONTRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNERS:
- KEI PARK - Winner
- DIANE RIMMER - Runner-Up
- RUDI BUCHANAN-STREWE - Carmela McHardy Merit Award
CONTRATULATIONS TO OUR 20 FINALISTS:
Rudi Buchanan Strewe, Graham Horne, Kristina Berends, Samantha Jane Pilkington, Isla Osborne, Christine Rose, Catherine Fookes, Peter Koren aka Krkoska, Sonja Drake, Oliver Chun Xu, Diane Rimmer, Karyn Paul, Dianne Carter, Olivia Garelja, Megan Jeffries, Liudmila Padukova, Kristy Griggs, Blake Scott, Toby Raine, Kei Park
Up For Grabs
• 20 Finalists - Exhibited in the Upstairs Gallery for 3 weeks.
• One Winner - $1000 Arts West Grant, plus $200 Resene Gift Voucher, $150 Gordon Harris Voucher
• One Runner Up - $500 Arts West Grant, plus $150 Resene Gift Voucher, $100 Gordon Harris Voucher
• One Merit - $500 Carmela McHardy Grant
• 18 Finalists - $20 Resene Gift Voucher
• 20 Finalists - Profiled in a special edition of Gallery36 the ezine showcasing Emerging Artists
• One People’s Choice Award Winner - $100 MyCanvas Voucher
TCAC Emerging Artist Definition
• The TCAC Emerging Artist is: coming into view; coming into existence; coming to maturity.
• The artists should not yet be contracted by a commercial gallery.
• They should not yet have had major exhibitions (mainly referring to solo exhibitions) in museums and exhibition halls.
• There are no requirements for academic standards. Eg. Self taught artists are welcome to apply.
• The artists should now be ready to present their work on the exhibition market.
• The TCAC Emerging Artist Awards does not discriminate in terms of the age of the applicants and hereby invites artists of all age groups who comply with the application criteria and the definition of an emerging artist to send their applications.
Priscilla Thompson. Arts Manager West, Auckland Council - Previously Arts Planner, Manukau City Council, Exhibitions Manager Auckland Museum, Director Gisborne Museum and Arts Centre, Exhibitions Manager Auckland Art Gallery, Executive Director Auckland Society of Arts.
Cynthia Smith - Cynthia is a member of the TCAC committee and a trustee of the McCahon House Trust. She is an experienced art tutor both of adults as coordinator of the Artlook art course in Titirangi and of children as a tutor for both the McCahon House and the Lopdell House Gallery education programmes.Angela Fell - Senior Colour Consultant, Resene